DRQueue and Blender 2.5

I have at last made the leap from Blender 2.49 to Blender 2.5, having been nervous about making the leap in the middle of a project. In the end I was forced to, and so far I haven’t regretted it. Sure, a couple of things have needed fixing, but that’s a small price to pay for the much-improved interface.

The major thing that didn’t work was DRQueue, which I use for distributing rendering work across a few machines. As the API has changed, the scripts used by DRQueue no longer function properly. With a bit of forum reading and investigation, I figured out what needed changing.

For the moment I’m doing animations, so it’s frame rendering that I’ve fixed – bucket rendering will wait until I need it, unless someone wants to tell us the answer! Anyway, the script we need to change is called blender_same_directory.py, which you’ll find in <prefix>/drqueue/etc (replace <prefix> with wherever you’ve installed drqueue). Take a backup copy of that file, and instead use the following:

import bpy
from bpy import data, ops, props, types, context
import os
import sys

print("\nThis Python script will render your scene and place the output in the same directory.\n")
curframe = int(os.getenv("curframe"))
bpy.data.scenes[0].frame_start = curframe
bpy.data.scenes[0].frame_end = curframe
bpy.data.scenes[0].render.filepath = '/Data/Graphics/Output/'
bpy.ops.render.render(animation=True)

Replace the filepath with your chosen output directory for the renders.

That’s all there is to it. Just carry on using DRQueue as you always have.

Note: Due to a bizarre spam infestation, comments are disabled on this post until further notice.

2 Comments

  1. The DRQueue documentation gives you everything you need to set up a render farm. If you get stuck, there’s a forum on the DRQueue site for asking questions – they’ll be more knowledgeable (and therefore more helpful) than me!

Comments are closed.